Victor Building

Keast & Hood reconfigured the structure of the former “Nipper” Building and provided adaptive reuse structural design to convert the building to residential use.

The former headquarters for the RCA Victor Talking Machine Company was constructed in five sections from 1909 to 1916. It featured an open center courtyard into which rail cars could drive for unloading and reloading. Each of the 535,000-sf building’s five sections was constructed with a different concrete structural system – an innovative, fire-safe design solution for the time.

To convert the six-story building into 341 loft apartments with ground-level retail and restaurant space, Keast & Hood provided extensive structural reconfiguration. A portion of the building in the courtyard was removed to achieve appropriate setbacks. In order to fireproof the building to meet current building codes, the design adapted the hollow cast iron column structure and its original internal ventilation system. Portions of the switchback ramp system were also renovated, and the deteriorated exterior cornice was restored. The landmark 75-foot tower featuring a stained glass image of Nipper the dog “listening to his master’s voice” was preserved.

The project won a 2004 Historic Preservation Award from the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection.

Keast & Hood reconfigured the structure of the former “Nipper” Building and provided adaptive reuse structural design to convert the building to residential use.

The former headquarters for the RCA Victor Talking Machine Company was constructed in five sections from 1909 to 1916. It featured an open center courtyard into which rail cars could drive for unloading and reloading. Each of the 535,000-sf building’s five sections was constructed with a different concrete structural system – an innovative, fire-safe design solution for the time.

To convert the six-story building into 341 loft apartments with ground-level retail and restaurant space, Keast & Hood provided extensive structural reconfiguration. A portion of the building in the courtyard was removed to achieve appropriate setbacks. In order to fireproof the building to meet current building codes, the design adapted the hollow cast iron column structure and its original internal ventilation system. Portions of the switchback ramp system were also renovated, and the deteriorated exterior cornice was restored. The landmark 75-foot tower featuring a stained glass image of Nipper the dog “listening to his master’s voice” was preserved.

The project won a 2004 Historic Preservation Award from the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection.

CLIENT: Bower Lewis Thrower Architects
LOCATION: Camden, NJ

TYPE: Commercial, Historic, Residential, SERVICES: Adaptive Reuse, Historic Preservation, Renovation, Restoration, MATERIALS: Masonry, Steel, SUSTAINABILITY: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Exterior night photograph © Don Pearse Photographers, Inc.

read more +